So last week I found an awesome video on YouTube by BookRoast. She for most of the month of April (2nd to the 29th) will be hosting a readathon for everyone to sit their OWLs (as in Hogwarts exam). The idea is also that this readathon will lead into another one later on for everyone to sit their NEWTs.
I will definitely be completing my OWLs and since I am a competitive Slytherin I will be aiming to complete all 12 exams.
So what are the subjects and the exam task you ask:
Ancient runes – Read a book with a symbol on the cover
Arithmacy – Read a book with a number on the cover or in the title
Astronomy – Read a science fiction novel
Care of Magical Creatures – Read a book including a magical creature or has one on the cover
Charms – Read a fantasy book
Defense Against the Dark Arts – Read a book with secret societies or clubs
Divination – Read a book that featuring prophecies
Herbology – Read a book with a nature related word in the title
History of Magic – Read a historical fiction book
Muggles Studies – Read a non-fiction muggle book
Potions – Read a book about/ with alchemy
Transfiguration – Read a book that deals with transfiguration/ shapeshifting or has a cat on the cover
Outstanding – Sit (and pass) at least 5 OWLs
Exceeded Expectations – Sit (and pass) at least 3 OWLs
Acceptable – Sit (and pass) at least 2 OWLs
Poor – Sit only one OWL
Dreadful – Start but not finish any OWLs
Troll – Don’t show up at your OWLs examinations
So now for my exams in order of my favourite subjects (and probably the order that they will be read)
Defense Against the Dark Arts – Don’t Judge a Girl by her Cover by Ally Carter
Potions – The Silver Mask by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare
Charms – Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Care of Magical Creatures – The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Transfiguration – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
History of Magic – A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Divination – The Titan’s Curse by Rick Riordan
Herbology – Winter by Marissa Meyer
Ancient Runes – Divergent by Veronica Roth
Astronomy – Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Arithmacy – One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake
Muggle Studies – Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
While this is my current TBR I am thinking about changing some up to add in some Comic Trade Paperbacks since I haven’t read ANY this year.
I hope you will all join in for this readathon as it is going to be heaps of fun!
Ok so the theme is actually Spring TBR list but as I live in the Southern Hemisphere I have changed it to suit my season.
Puddin’ by Julie Murphy
Ace of Shades – Amanda Foody
Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks – Noelle Stevenson, Holly Black, Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis & Brooklyn Allen
Runaways Vol 1 – Rainbow Rowell
Not if I Save you First – Ally Carter
Obsidio – Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
The Case for Jamie – Brittany Cavallaro
A Reaper at the Gates – Sabaa Tahir (Need to read book 2 first and I know that this is technically a june release but I can not wait for it)
War Storm – Victoria Aveyard (I have a lot of catching up)
Good Night and Happy Reading
The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Ember Quartet by Sabaa Tahir
Shades of Magic by V. E. Schwab
Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas
Stalking Jack the Ripper Series by Kerri Maniscalco
Ok, so I may have only read the first two books in the series (Third one comes out later is year and I am so excited!!!) but I have completely fallen in love and would be very content reading this series forever. I love the relationship between Audrey and Thomas. There’s just the right amount of romance between them but it isn’t the main focus of the books.
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
This is the series I read before Harry Potter. This is the series that got me into reading (my Dad was so happy that he brought these for me)
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
I love the Lunar Chronicles world and I am am loving re-reading this series at the moment.
Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
Do I really need to explain this!
Ok so I may have cheated slightly and only picked series but if im going to be reading these books forever I at least want to mix it up and have a different one for each week of the year.
Good Night and Happy Reading
So I know that there shouldn’t be any shame when it comes to reading and I know that it’s impossible to read every book ever published and I tell people this all the time….. BUT…… I still feel shameful that there are so many amazing sequels that I am excited for but I haven’t read the book before it or in some cases haven’t even started the series!
- Batman: Nightwalker – Marie Lu (just saying I am a massive Batman fan and I need this in my life!!)
- Catwoman: Soulstealer – Sarah J Maas
- Royals – Rachel Hawkins
- Save the Date – Morgan Matson
- Listen to your Heart – Kasie West
- What if it’s Us – Becky Albertalli
- Not if I Save you First – Ally Carter
- Obsidio (The illuminae Files #3) – Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
- The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) – Holly Black
- Unearthed (Unearthed #1) – Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
- The Belles (The Belles #1) – Dhonielle Clayton
- Ace of Shadows (The Shadow Game #1) – Amanda Foody
- Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieve #1) – Mary E. Pearson
- Puddin’ (Dumplin #2) – Julie Murphy
- The Darkest Star (Origin #1) – Jennifer L. Armentrout
- Zenith (The Androma Saga #1) – Sasha Alsberg & Lindsay Cummings
- Truly Devious (Truly Devious #1) – Maureen Johnson
I wonder if you can spot the theme here…. 80% are the first in the series.
And now the shameful list of series I am excited for but need to do some serious catching up in order to read these!
- War Storm (Red Queen #4) – Victoria Aveyard
- A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes #3) – Sabaa Tahir
- Restore Me (Shatter Me #4) – Tahereh Mafi
- Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices #3) – Cassandra Clare
- The Fates Divide (Carve the Mark #2) – Veronica Roth
- Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children Book 4 – Ransom Riggs
- Legendary (Caraval #2) – Stephanie Garber
- Untitled (Throne of Glass #7) – Sarah J Maas
- The World of Throne of Glass – Sarah J Maas
- A Court Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3.1) – Sarah J Maas
- Wires and Nerve Vol 2 (Wires and Nerve #2) – Marissa Meyer
- Shadowsong (Wintersong #2) – S Jae-Jones
- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Guide #2) – Mackenzi Lee
- Untitled (Warcross #2) – Marie Lu
- Untitled (Three Dark Crowns #3) – Kendare Blake
- Inferno (Talon #5) – Julie Kagawa
- Untitled (Renegades #2) – Marissa Meyer
- Sightwitch (The Witchlands #0.5) – Susan Dennard
- The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes #3) – Brittany Cavallaro
- The Towering Sky (The Thousandth Floor #3) – Katherine McGee
There are more books that I am excited for but even this list is a bit overwhelming. Guess I better start reading.
So apparently it is already the second day of the new year…… WHAT THE HELL…… Last year completely flew by and I fell like I didn’t get half of what I wanted to get done in 2017 done.
So new year means new plans and I wanted to spend my first post of the year setting my new reading goals and challenges. I always start off the year really well but then of course life gets in the way and I fall off around the middle of the year and then quickly jump back on board around October trying to finish all my goals in time. I guess this is the same for many people and their new year resolutions…….
BUT NOT THIS YEAR!
This year I am going to back down on my goals and give myself more of a chance to complete them. I am also going to do more read-a-thons as I find it a good way to get a lot read (it also stops me from spending so much time playing games on my Ipad or watching Netflix).
So here they are…. My 2018 Reading Goals / Challenges
- Read at least 52 books
- Complete 12 read-a-thons (this includes 1 and 2 day read-a-thons)
- Cut down the number of books I own but haven’t read (there are a lot!)
- Read 2 classics (I know that this isn’t many but it will be 2 more than I read last year)
- Post a review for at least half the books I read in 2018
- Post a non-review post every 2 weeks
- If possible I would love to get back into Booktube but this is only an idea at the moment.
- Goodreads: 52 books
- Around the Year in 52 – This is a Goodreads group that gives prompts for 52 books to read throughout the year.
- Mt TBR – I will be setting the goal of Mt Vancouver which is 36 books from my TBR. To find out the rules for Mt TBR check out MyReadersBlock’s post.
- Beat the Backlist – 40 books. Similar to Mt TBR but it includes any book published before 2018. Check out this challenge here.
So that’s it. I’m not going to commit myself to any more at the moment as there are still another 363 days that I can other challenges that excite me.
That’s all for now.